Ankara, July 30 () - Egypt has not sent Turkey an invitation to the opening ceremony of the New Suez Canal on Aug. 6, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Tanju Bilgiç told reporters.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said on July 15 Cairo invited all countries in the world, including Qatar and Turkey, to the opening ceremony of the New Suez Canal on Aug. 6.
It would be irrational to invite specific countries, English-language daily Al-Ahram’s website quoted Shoukry as saying.
Egypt’s relations with Turkey have been strained since a military coup which overthrew former Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.
President Tayyip Erdoğan, a close ally of Morsi, condemned the coup and Egypt expelled Turkey’s ambassador. Ankara also declared the Egyptian ambassador, who had already left the country, persona non grata and downgraded their diplomatic ties to the levels of charge d’affairs.