(Confirming suicide bombing.)
Şanlıurfa, July 20 () - An explosion has erupted in Suruç, district of Şanlıurfa on Turkey's border with Syria, leaving at least 28 people dead and about 100 people wounded.
"According to initial findings at least 28 citizens were killed and we worry that this may rise. Around 100 citizens are hospitalised in thne hospitals in the region" the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
Ambulances and rescue teams were sent to the scene. Also backing police teams from Şanlıurfa town center were deployed to the area.
People raiding to the scene has slowed down the works of rescue teams. Police teams are trying to detract people in the area. An ambulance helicopter was sent to the region, while ambulances from neigborhing districts and provinces are being sent off.
Almost 300 people have gathered this morning around 09.00 am at an event led by the Federation of Socialist Youth Associations (SGDF) in the garden of Amara Culture Center. The group had been planning to head to Syria’s Kobane town through the Mürşitpınar gate, right after their press release following a breakfast gathering.
Amara (meaning the sun) Culture Cente was founded with the cooperation of the district’s people, under the initiative of DBP (Democratic Regions Party).
Governor confirms suicide bombing
Governor of Şanlıurfa İzzettin Küçük has announced that the death toll has increased to 28, while about 100 people were wounded in the explosion.
Governor Küçük also announced they have confirmed that the explosion had caused by a suicide bombing, saying, “A suicide bomber it is, but is he or she 18 years old? Who or how old is this person? Our security forces, teams try to ascertain. We will share the outcome with the public.”
The Governor also stated that no one was arrested yet and added that, to prevent an indignation, points of entry and exit on the gate are under control.
Crisis desk formed
Prime Minister Davutoğlu charged Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş, Interior Minister Sebahattin Öztürk and Labor Minister Faruk Çelik to examine the incident on the location.
Prime Ministry sources announced that a crisis desk chaired by Prime Ministry Undersecretary Kemal Madenoğlu was established and stated that Davutoğlu keeps debriefing through the Şanlıurfa Governer and Suruç District Governer.
The Ankara police also went on full alarm; police teams were warned for wearing steel west and operating with automatic weapons, also watching out suspicious vehicles and people, in respect to a probability of a suicide bomb incident.
CHP leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu also gave a statement and said, ”The malicious attack in Suruç teared our hearts out. It is unutterable, the pain of losing our young ones. I condemn the terror and the ones who give forth to the terror.”
Kılıçdaroğlu also sent a delegation to Suruç where 28 were killed, instructing them to throughly examine the case, right after he was informed regarding the explosion.
The delegation coordinated by the CHP Assembly Group includes CHP Deputy Head Veli Ağbaba, Sezgin Tanrıkulu and Gaziantep Deputy Mehmet Şeker has departed for Suruç.
It was announced that a Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) Central Executive Board extraordinary meeting will be held, co-led by the HDP co-chairs Selahattin Demirtaş and Figen Yüksekdağ.
- General view
- Wounded people
- Dead bodies