Öykü Altuntaş / Istanbul, Oct 13 () - The Turkish Government is responsible for the deadly twin blast in Ankara, because they have not ran an effective fight against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) Co-Chair Selahattin Demirtaş told CNN International.
Having spoken to Fred Pleitgen on CNN International on Oct. 12, Selahattin Demirtaş said, the HDP hold the government responsible for the Ankara massacre, because they have not conducted effective operation against the ISIL.
“They have turned a blind eye to ISIL growing in Syria and their existence, presence is known within Turkey and they have not carried out arrests” slammed Demirtaş.
"Security weakness" in Ankara
Demirtaş also pointed to a “security weakness” that made the attack possible, adding that Ankara was a city where the intelligence work was at its highest. “It seems there was no preventative work, no security arrangements in place, which increases the responsibility of the government” he added.
Turkish government is complicit in the Ankara blast for turning a blind eye to ISIL and failing to put appropriate security in place, Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) co-chair Selahattin Demirtaş told Fred Pleitgen on CNN International, Oct. 12.
“They [the AKP government] turned a blind eye to ISIL growing in Syria and their existence; [their] presence is known within Turkey and they haven’t carried out arrests” Demirtaş said.
“ISIL cannot carry out these kinds of actions without the state’s support”
Demirtaş approved that he defended ISIL has infiltrated the Turkish security services, after Pleitgen’s follow-up question, then said they had the opinion that “these terrorists carry out their activities with the support of elements within the state and consequently”.
“When the bomb act was carried in Diyarbakir, it was meant to kill hundreds of people. The person who placed the bomb or who was responsible for the bomb had been caught and arrested shortly before the attack and then he was released by police officials and after which he carried out the attack. And those who caught him and released him have subsequently been promoted” explained the HDP Co-Chair.
Following the question of Pleitgen on raising concerns of a potential civil war in Turkey, Demirtaş said even if there were “elements” who would like to see a sort of civil war, he would not say the society in Turkey was set to confront it.
“There are those who want to start a war based on ethnicities or a sectarian war. Despite all the negative indications, we are hopeful, we are optimistic. There is an election coming up with call for security to be provided for the elections to be - to take place proper - in proper conditions. And we have taken steps and PKK has declared a cease-fire. And we have created an environment of hope” added Demirtaş.
Following the interview, Pleitgen announced several Turkish government officials were asked to give an interview but none were available.