Gonca Yağcı - Aynur Tattersall / London, Sep 8 () - As the second attack in 48 hours against Turkish daily Hürriyet’s main buildings in Istanbul and Ankara marked the agenda on late Sep. 8, international news organizations also addressed the violent incident.
Some of the reflections in international press were as follows:
BBC: Pro-government protesters again attacked the offices of the Hürriyet newspaper
Public-service broadcaster British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) stressed that pro-government protesters has attacked the offices of the Hürriyet newspaper, smashing windows, having reported a similar attack was launched on Sunday Sep. 6.
“An angry crowd had stormed the building on Sunday accusing the newspaper of misquoting President Tayyip Erdogan in a TV interview” said BBC, reminding that Turkey’s PM Ahmet Davutoglu has denounced the attack in his Twitter account.
BBC added that along with the daily Hürriyet, Turkey's pro-Kurdish HDP party offices were attacked in Ankara and no causalities were reported in the two incidents, despite the material damage.
The British media organization also addressed PM Davutoglu’s Twitter post reading “I invite all my citizens with hearts full of love for the country to calm, embrace one another, and to have confidence in the state".
"It is unacceptable to damage media institutions, political party buildings and the property of our civilian citizens," Davutoglu has said, as the report stressed.
Additionally, BBC reported the background of the crisis in Turkey, which said “Earlier, Turkish ground forces crossed into Iraq in pursuit of Kurdish militants for the first time since a ceasefire with the PKK two years ago”.
Having reminded the clashes have followed the collapse of a ceasefire in July between the Turkish army and the PKK, BBC adressed Turkish aircrafts have recently launched “a wave of air strikes on bases of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in northern Iraq.
AFP: Turkey newspaper says targeted by new pro-Erdogan attack
International France-based news agency Agence France-Press (AFP) announced the attack to their audience that dozens of supporters of Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has launched a new attack against the leading Turkish daily newspaper Hürriyet on Tuesday, Sep. 8.
“Carrying Turkish flags, some 100 protesters tried to force their way into the building and threw stones at its front windows before riot police finally arrived” said the agency, referring to daily Hürriyet’s statement describing the attack.
AFP addressed that protesters have accused the newspaper of misquoting a television interview by Erdogan and had already staged a similar attack late on Sunday, Sep. 6.
France 24: Hürriyet newspaper in Istanbul pelted with stones
Paris-based press organization France 24, accordingly, told the headquarters of Hürriyet newspaper in Istanbul was pelted with stones by a group, less than 48 hours after a similar attack.
Sputnik International: US Calls on Turkish Officials to Refrain From Encouraging Attacks on Media
Washington Sputnik International added the announcement of U.S. Embassy in Turkey, urging the government to not give the impression that they support assaults against media.
“The attack on Hürriyet’s office came after a Turkish prosecutor had launched an investigation concerning an article by the newspaper’s columnist Ertugrul Ozkok, which allegedly insulted Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan” reminded Spuntik International.
Breitbart News : Islamist Mob Stones Turkey’s Hürriyet Newspaper Offices Shouting "God is Great"
International news network Breitbart News based in U.S. reported that Hürriyet has been facing a government probe for allegedly “insulting” President Erdogan by quoting his statements.
“Hürriyet estimates the crowd before their offices at 150, mostly men gathering to throw stones at the offices– breaking at least one glass door, and attempting to enter the Office” said the reporting. Police subdued the crowd before more than property damage could occur” said the report, declaring “an Islamist mob has Stones the newspaper shouting “God is great”.
The news network also addressed Erdogan’s recent claims that “Turkey boasted the freest press in the world”, and added that he has alleged the criticism of him in media proved this.
“Almost any criticism of Erdogan in the media in the past five years has been met with legal action, however” said the report, on the other hand, reminding that the government had banned Twitter in the past.
AP : Protesters attack Hürriyet for the second time
Associate Press (AP) also announced Turkey’s most influential newspaper has been attacked for the second time in headquarter in Istanbul”.
AP said, the raid has come hours after President Tayyip Erdogan renewed a verbal attack on the Hürriyet paper, accusing it of deliberately distorting his words.
Hurriyet had accepted that there had been a mistake in the reporting of Erdogan’s statement on Sunday. Another raid had been held by about 200 pro-Erdogan protesters on late Sep. 6.